04 Jul Best practices with master templates in Dynamics NAV
The master templates enable you to configure templates for different tables in Microsoft Dynamics NAV for their subsequent use. I.e. it is possible to define templates for customers, suppliers, products, assets, amongst others, which can be used to create a new record. This functionality is available from Microsoft Dynamics NAV version 5.0 onwards. Below we are going to learn how to configure master templates.
Configuring master templates in Dynamics NAV
Access the Administration menu < Application Setup < General < Configure master templates.
You can configure as many templates per table as necessary.
In the heading fields you should enter the following:
- Code: Enter an identifying code.
- Table: You should select the table to which the template refers.
- Description: Enter identifying text.
In the lines fields you should enter the following:
- Type: specify the type of data in the template. It can be a field of the related table or a template or related template.
- Field name: enter the field name that you want it to fill automatically.
- Field title: once completed the field name, the field name will automatically appear in this field in Spanish.
- Template code: in the case of selecting the template type or related template, you should enter the template code to be selected in this option.
- Fieldname: enter the field name that you want it to fill automatically.
- Skip relationship check:specify the relationship between the fields of the table that shouldn’t be checked. This can be useful when you want to specify a value for a field which is not available yet. You can specify this value, tick the skip relationship check box and continue applying the data without errors.
- Mandatory: specify whether it is necessary for there to be data in the data template field.
- Reference: specify a URL address. Use this field to provide a URL address to a location which contains additional information about the field on the data template.
From the Actions button < create instance< , create a new record in the table of the header with the predetermined data you have configured and then fill in the rest of the necessary data on the card.
From the master records, you can apply one of the created templates, before or after completing the rest of the fields.
You also may like: